Saturday, April 14, 2007

Stretching the Balloon

An athlete acheives greatness by pushing body limits. Runners increase the distance a little at a time. At first it's a jog around the neighborhood. Then, maybe a run through the city park. Finally, a 10k race with a good 800 sprint across the finish line. My run began the opposite way. No sprint to finish. When we reached the beach I charged off, leaving him behind with his soccer ball. Every step stomped out the hurt, the uncertainity he brought. Unfortunately, the purge of emotional refuse was quickly replace by his ipod. My ears tunneled in associations that only lead back to him. This wasn't my music, the artists weren't my artists. The beach, the waters and the salty air belonged to neither. We both longed for home and tried hopelessly to find it deep inside the other. I had no room to let him. In a days time, he boarded a plane leaving whispered promises, kept so soft and low I feel they may drown in the Irish Sea.

No comments: