Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Song of the Orphan

Will you play with me? I'll watch you from vacant eyes.
For I've been cast away far too many times.

Can you hold my hand just a little longer? Try and squeeze away the hurt.
The crying isn't pain, but a sign of life's hunger.

Watch me do a trick and count to 10. No! Don't leave. I can do it again.
I'll twirl and giggle and stumble and grin.

The alphabet starts with A and ends with Z.
I don't know the middle, but maybe could you teach me?

I promise to be good. Listen to every word.
But can you tuck me in at your house?

It's cold standing in the sun with a freshly scrubbed face.
I heard a mother keeps a warm space.

I won't be in the way, I'll rock myself to sleep.

I'll tell you what you want to hear, even if it's a lie.
Just take me with you when you tell the others goodbye.

No comments: