Monday, August 25, 2008

La Rosa Negra

“We didn't win the contest- but we did win something more important to us. On my last night in Havana we were King and Queen of La Rosa Negra.”

Does it worry anyone else that I felt that way after spending the night dancing with my cousins? Oh there were Latinos involved too but the trouble with them is they stalk you afterwards. And when they ask you to dance it’s not just for one song but for a twenty minute set. Try doing twenty minutes of bachata with the same kid who comes up to your chin and does a little tiptoe jump move when he spins you and dislocates your shoulder with a jerk of your arm.

But those long dance sequences become heavenly when your partner smoothly leads you into turns, spinning you with ease as you fall right back into the step. Bonus points when he knows the steps too and doesn’t step on your toes or take your hand and ask “now what?” We were speechless too.

And all the while I’ve managed to improve my Spanish. Qieres bailar? and sí adoro a mi novio Usually I state in clear English that I don’t speak Spanish saving me from any awkward conversation or lame come-ons. But the best part of going dancing, aside from the giggly high state I achieve after a dizzying night, is the memories of Costa Rica it sparks.

It’s been years since my spring break Costa Rica trip but on the occasional Saturday night I relive particular moments from it. A horribly great movie called Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights largely influenced the Central American trip (that and cheap fares—we were college students). And so on the trip we spent many nights looking for our own Javier to dance with. We fit right in with the wild dance scene and ever since have ventured to Latin nights in Salt Lake.

This Saturday I remembered what it’s like to be one of the only white girls surrounded by Latinos all with the same question in their eyes, where did you learn to dance? I recall laughing at the San Jose boys taking us out to teach us how to dance. Laney knew the steps better than they did and Ashley and I had no problems following. We also wowed the Lizard Lounge crowd and did a number down on the beach.

As Adam pointed out, we put on our dancing shoes (we were mocked for them)and become completely different people. Well different came out of his mouth but I think he wanted to say scandalous or some other sk sounding word.

No comments: