Thursday, January 15, 2009

Stalking 101

Driving to The Canyons I expected a lazy day of snowboarding. With my new heelside skill I needed to practice my turns and a sunny, snowless Thursday seemed perfect. It was the day before the Sundance Film Festival kick-off meaning everyone would be indoors prepping. And if not, who wouldn’t want to run into someone famous (literally with me) on the slopes.

As expected the parking lot only extended four rows. I turned down excited about the short walk and caught a glimpse of a familiar face framed by blonde hair. I had been looking at pictures of her the night before. With my empty unemployed days I’ve spent many hours online, enough to notice the recycled articles. Once I committed those fun facts to memory I found a new form of entertainment—blog stalking.

Few people update their blogs daily, some even go weeks before posting something new and my friends can hold out for months. Not really convenient for me so in true traitor form I began looking for new blogs by clicking on every link my friends had posted. Reading blog of friends of friends seemed a little less creepy too. That’s when I found ASH, a fun young blonde with hysterical theatrics on all of her short-lived blogs. The pictures alone convinced me that she could perform at any social event.

After I saw her in the parking lot I parked a few cars away. It’s not like I really knew her so I could be mistaken about the identity. And I needed some time and distance while I thought of ways to introduce myself. “Hi, I’ve been stalking you online” didn’t seem appropriate. I looked again. Confirmation. A clear shot of her face and I nodded with certainty. It helped that she stood talking to a mutual friend who had just parked in front of her.

I didn’t run up and gushingly tell her about my loyal blog reading. Instead I sat in my car adding layers of clothing, hoping to smother the embarrassment of being star-struck.

Thinking back I should have been bold and forward. Next time.

No comments: