Thursday, March 31, 2011

Banishing Snakes

This post is late, at least two weeks late and even then I should have prepped you all for St. Patrick's Day. If he could banish snakes from an island, then maybe I could share a little of his story with you. Unfortunately I don't remember much more than the snakes and that he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland to be a slave. A little embarrassing considering I lived in Ireland and knew a great scholar who happened to take St. Patrick's Day seriously.

I can tell you that it is a four or five day religious holiday over there. Rumor has it that they didn't do the whole green wearing, parade throwing, lucky shamrock festivities until other nations did that as a tribute (think over zealous Americans who love an excuse for a holiday). It had evolved by the time I was a Dubliner and a huge parade took place on the 17th in the city center. I'd intended on attending. We had green hats, wigs and sashes. At the last minute one little guy threw up (green milk?) and I volunteered to stay home with him. I'd planned to go downtown with friends later that night so I thought I'd see some crazy things anyway. That also backfired as high winds caused an early night for vendors. I did wear my "Kiss Me I'm Irish" sash, it even had red lights that flash.

Now living in Washington/Peoria, I felt like it was little Irishland for the night. I only saw the subdued version at a sports bar two blocks from our house. Everyone dressed up in a St. Patrick's/Mardi gras/Halloween style to sing old 90s grunge with a local band. Mr. Seattle was highly impressed and I loved it too. It's hilarious to see Skip's face when I can sing along to all his favorite songs. Skip also had the pleasure of seeing the Peoria Riverfront lit up in green. His office took off around four and wandered the streets. Lines and lines of leprechauns waiting to get into the pubs.

So when he came home and asked for props I had him covered. I brought out my old sash and handed him a green hat. Then things got real wild. Skip saw my glittery green eyeshadow and had to have some, as a mask of course.

Really people what do expect when the town's popular private school is St. Patricks? We'll be better prepared for next year. Maybe I'll hand out shamrock cookies to the kids at the bus stop, it's on the corner of our lawn.

No comments: