Sunday, May 15, 2011

Royal Pains

Maid of Honor in this year's royal wedding? Pippa. Name of my first born. Not going to be Pippa. I'm expecting plenty of Pippas to pop up in the next year or two. It's a beautiful name, one I'd had my heart set on since reading a Dickens classic, Great Expectations. I fell in love with Pip and wanted one of my own. My sisters ridiculed me enough over that idea until I came up with a compromise--Pippa.

An old English nickname for Phillipa. I figured I could justify that easily enough as Philip is a family name. I'd just need to have girls and no boys. Done. A cute name fairly unknown in the States but not entirely made up, nor a medical term.

Then I ran into an old college friend at BYU graduation (I was supporting my brother Travis). She happened to be pregnant and naming her daughter Pippa.

"I know. We're crazy," she said in her southern drawl.

I laughed and assured her it was the perfect name, one I'd wanted for myself. The problem with having great taste in names is your friends will have it too. Since she was married and pregnant she got the name. I graciously told her it was beautiful. She laughed at me and said I should also use it.

I would too. Well, I would have. Now that Britain's newest next of kin to Princess Kate is named Pippa I expect a huge surge in baby girls named Pippa for 2012-2020. On the other hand I'm checking to other family names I can use...Travelina? Danielle?

3 comments:

Kim said...

How about Skippa?

Bre said...

I'm a little jealous that I didn't think of that Kimmy!

alw--CSE (certified staging expert) said...

HOLY FREAK I made your blog. What an honor. I think tears are coming...wait...wait...yep, definite tears. You are still welcome to take "Pippa" though. However, you are right, I now have to explain that we didn't steal the name from the royals considering my daughter was born 8 months before the wedding and before anyone knew of Pippa. I will say this. We kept the name hush hush from everyone except you because I knew you would love the name and not ridicule me for being different. We still get props for Stone's name for being different. Love ya girly.