Thursday, March 5, 2009

Narcissistic

A brief conversation with my brother-in-law led to self discovery. Between the life advice, he told me to get married as that is the only way I’ll ever be happy (I guess I just wait for the first person to ask me and say yes, no questions asked), and the begging of my return to Lamar Darren mentioned how wonderful it would be to have two of me. You’ve made the obvious conclusion I did. Not only does he want me married but bearing children.

This particular time his comment referred to the real me living in Lamar closer to his daughter Brookie the newer model of the two-year-old me. Everyone in Lamar remembers me adorably toddling around and they all remark on her likeness of me. The dancing in the kitchen. The jumpiness punctuated by a startled look and scream. The face structure and huge blue eyes. The affection for fruit. Even the way she snuggles into your neck when she hugs you.

While he named of all these wonderful attributes I felt a little tingle in my heart and the smile on my face stretched wide. Then immediate thought I had was my sister deserved to have one of me because I felt she underappreciated me in our youth. My next thought was of my love for Brookie. But my third thought struck a nerve.

What a delightful child I was! No wonder people liked me.

Then I gasped and almost ran a red light. Humility I have not. And while I may not drown in a lake staring at my own reflection, my train of thought could lead to a messy accident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes Bre, you and Brookie look quite alike. When will you write about the train of thought you and Abby share?