Monday, April 9, 2012

Egg Wars

Leave it to the Greeks to inspire a friendly competition during a celebratory religious holiday, like the egg wars on Easter. My marriage into a Greek family put this tradition on proud display last night. And I had a vendetta.

Those beautifully dyed eggs the Easter Bunny hides in baskets and yards are used as weapons. Two people head off, one holding an egg in defense while the other uses an egg to strike. The crushed egg is thrown to the side and the victor looks for a new victim. This continues until one solitary egg is left unscathed and is then preserved until the following year. Rumor mandates that the victor will have a year of love, health, and luck by doing so.

Last year I dominated Skip. My winning egg taunted him with it's precision and strength. Then I made a rookie move and retired the winning egg for the final battle. This was the rationale: The winning egg had struck several blows and I was certain it had a hairline fracture. The final battle was between my winning egg and MY second string egg. So really I had already won. But in the final battle, I gave Skip the winning egg and I used the back up. Skip won and somehow, despite my previous record, he claimed the title.

This year I was ready to destroy him, however his parents were here and the reigning Greek (his mom) kept court. She made sure no funny business went down and kept it light hearted. That's one version of what happened. Here's the other.

We gave Skip a bum egg to begin with. His name was on it so he had to use it, but after the first round he was free to pick his next egg. He raffled through the pile and found an egg with a reinforced end and some bumps on it...or an eggtooth! Papou went down. Yai Yai went down and when he got to me, Skip gave Pippa the famed egg. Pippa crushed me and she went on to wipe out the remaining eggs.



 I suppose I gave her my beginner's luck.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Skipper said...

awesome breezy, great photos, you are SO GOING DOWN NEXT YEAR...there is no rule against ostrich eggs and i have one on a leash in the back yard being fed striaght oyster shells....Yay Pippa "the crusher" Knowles--the Knowles women continue to destroy their men's hopes and dreams of egg dominance