Sunday, February 8, 2009

February Where Have You Gone?

The shortest and coldest month I push Feb. to the back of my mind. It's a place of ugliness, a time when I want to shut out the world and hide under 50 blankets. Even if you took one off everyday I'd be safe until Spring Break. Plus it's the month of my least favorite holiday—Valentine's Day.

I'm something of a romantic in my own warped, optimistically pessimistic way, but a national holiday that forces people to show affection seems wrong. Flowers on the 14th smell of desperation and conformity, but flowers on the 15th bring the aroma of love. And so this year for the holiday I've tricked Travis into a road trip to California. Just me and my brother braving Donner Pass.

In anticipation I thought it wise to prepare some treats, and I do enjoy all holidays even bottom of the list Valentine's Day. (Actually I love making Valentine's cards; a certain someone received one of my best. I don't think he understood it though...) I searched for the conversation hearts that mark the season. Many years I agonized about giving those candies to undeserving boys. I carefully read each one and tried to give away the generics; Awesome, Hi, Stay 10 ft away. If only.

The shock of not finding them equaled the disappointment of seeing Easter candy already. It's not enough that Mother Nature screwed with my summer sending me snow into June. Marketing now takes my holidays ending them before they've begun.

I didn't even get my yearly cream puffs on the first. It's as if February didn't exist, a leap year of the month in 2009.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

you're going somewhere WITHOUT me?! you know i'm going to be desperately sad on V-Day...maybe you can just buy me something to make me feel better :) haha...

Anonymous said...

february's rad! It's the best time to snowbaord with a cold that is still foofy dry snow without savagely cruel cold...ride, hooker!

Anonymous said...

I need more blog.... I'm addicted.