Monday, July 6, 2009

Emerald Sights

There I stood contemplating between healthy and unhealthy food choices. And by unhealthy I refer to foods that will cause serious intestinal issues later. Somewhere between the realization that I only wanted bread because I can’t eat it and craving for all things dairy I received the text from a mysterious number. Did I say mysterious? I meant ominous; asking me on an all day date at the DMV.

Hard to refuse an offer like that. Even harder to ignore the dread that accompanied it. A dread that was quickly followed by a hot stinging wetness in my eyes. Wouldn’t it be nice if the mistakes from your past never came back to haunt you?

As it is I knew that I would spend a pleasant afternoon bickering with an old friend, refraining from the serious shoe throwing he deserves. Actually the only reason he’s not getting the spiked-heel beating of his life is that I currently like all my shoes and don’t want to risk the stains. Blood doesn’t wash out well.

My struggle to breathe normally increased and the dairy aisle won. I ran to the checkout line with rice pudding in hand, mentally counting the minutes I had before a complete breakdown. The importance of this is to remember that my eyes were already watering. The effect this has is for my eyes to pop in a brilliance of color, an exaggeration of cartoon proportions. You can understand why I wouldn’t want to burst into tears in public, people should be charged to see such a sight.

The cashier looked at me intently. At this moment a casual bystander would never know what emotion threatened to spill over. Clearly he did not and continued to stare at me. At this moment I became incredibly self-conscious and began to close my wallet to flee the uncomfortable place. And then he says, “You have the most intensely green eyes I’ve ever seen.”

Hmmm. Note to self. Eyes change color according to mood. Anger provokes green flecks to surface. I know understand why the Kenyan and I spent an agonizing hour arguing about the color of my eyes. My apologies to him for not knowing that his annoyance had caused my eye color to change.

I blinked a few times at the cashier before slowly nodding a thanks and rushing to the nearest mirror. Confusion Blue eyes stared back at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am smiling right now because your writing is amazing and your humor always has that effect on me. I am sad cause that ahole is putting you through grief. Hang in there kid. Give that one red headed kid a call if you need some support.