Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Seventh Month

It's nearly one in the morning on the second day of July. I've been done with my assistant teacher job for exactly six days. I've been going out of my mind for five days.

A perk of time demanding responsibilities is that I can blame the long nights and early mornings on other people. They expect me to stay until midnight. They expect me to show up at 6 a.m. What no one expects me to do is disassmeble my room at one in the morning.

Disassemble is wrong for I never put this room together. In the two years I've lived here there remain five boxes unpacked. I litter the floor, chair and bed with clothing. And anything I couldn't throw with the clothes I placed on the floor along the wall. Scared yet?

Tonight for some reason I was. I tore apart what I had moved things from one pile to another, mixing them in some attempt at categorizing and eventually dumping what I could into a large box. And things that I couldn't stand to look at I stuffed in a plastic bag destined for the dumpster.

It wasn't enough and I realized this task needs some time and attention, not a tornado in the form of a mentally unstable 26-year-old girl. I only hope that I won't wake up in a few hours confused, stumbling to the bathroom. Yes, all great ideas impulsively take place in the middle of the night. Why do you ask?

2 comments:

Eric said...

I didn't know it was your room. I thought you were sleeping in the dartboard room.

your mom said...

you are THE most supremely mentally stable 26 yr young girl i ever knowed, honestly, a dubious compliment at best, but true, so you cannot shirk your destiny of greatness, purple skirts in 20 varieties, and general love of life, bikiinis and loved ones w/a silly "my room is a mess" blog based on the fact that you just can't commit to a ghetto apt in west murray. Seriously. Great writing though.