Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mom vs. Dad

When Skip's sister flew out to see a fresh young Pippa she witnessed Skip vying for favorite parent status. He had a lot against him seeing as I was the person feeding the babe and really that's all she needed. Now that she needs 24 hours of attention the competitive parenting has actual competitions--who can make her smile, laugh or put her to sleep. I've still got an edge with nursing but after this morning it might not matter.

A little thing called life got in the way and I had to leave Skip in charge for a bit. Pippa's full tummy gave way to a fussy episode that resulted in soaked pajamas prompting an outfit change. Skip gave me the play by play when I returned home a little over an hour later, ending with "Doesn't she look cute?"

This is something I ask Skip multiple times a day. I'll send pictures through text and email or hold her up during a skype session. "Doesn't your daughter look cute?" I'll ask after painstakingly matching her fifth shirt to her third skirt to her socks or leggings and completing the outfit with a headband and bow.

"Notice how the trim on the skirt pulls out the color of the daisies on her top? And look the stitching on her socks are the same as her flower bow, plus it's a complementary color of her buttons. The Sesame Street character on her diaper is in the same color family." We accessorize with blankets, pacifiers, and mommy's outfit.

I looked under the blanket to see what Skip had dressed her in.

"Yes dear, that's a darling onesie."


No comments: