Thursday, September 11, 2008

Adapting to Bowling

Bowling is not my sport but I’m proud of my triple one score. In case you’re wondering it was a team effort and we had bumpers. Head spinning yet? Mine too.

At work (tutoring the autistic) today my little guy’s mom decided to split his session in two, one hour running programs and one hour at adaptive bowling. I cringed then smiled at least this meant I didn’t have to spend the hour coming up with new ways to teach math.

After hammering spelling words into his head we tied our shoes and headed to Fat Cats. We arrived first and had enough time to spend all our attention and excitement watching sports highlights. When everyone else began to bowl Jus began to take his shoes off. I commanded them back on and let him bowl alone first—this is his third week bowling.

Three minutes after he dropped the bowling ball it tipped over a few pins. I let him bowl again and again we wanted in dreadful anticipation as the ball slowly slid down the lane. Before it knocked down the pins another little boy called out to us. It was our turn on lane two. I ushered Justin over and prepared to nudge the ball along. But before I could clasp my hand over his, he let go and the ball crept to a stop half way down. The other moms looked at me, the other boys looked at me and I looked at Justin who looked back at me. Right my fault.

I redeemed my cool status by helping Jus get a spare. Instantly the boys welcomed me to the club with cheers and high-fives. Justin left early for soccer so I stayed to play out our game. My first time up without Justin I had some help. Another autistic boy (high-functioning and hilarious) told me he’d teach me how to bowl.

“You pick up the ball using these fingers. See? Then you run up and throw the ball.”

The demonstration worked wonders and I managed a spare. I turned around slightly awed. My new teacher exclaimed, “Good job! I’m a great teacher.”

I let him continue to think that even as my ball bounced off the bumper and corrected to dead center. They thought I was amazing, who am I to take that away?

No comments: