Sunday, September 7, 2008

Freeze Out Camp Out

I camp often enough to forget why I don't camp. I love being out in the dark scary woods telling creepy stories around the campfire and eating junk food and tinfoil dinners. But the frozen toes that lead to fitful naps throughout the night I could do without.

Being early September I falsely hoped that I would sleep peacefully under the stars at Albion Base. So hopeful was I that I turned down a perfectly warm tent. Besides Bubba told me that I could cuddle up next to him if needed. And I would have if he hadn't kicked me all night. Since he kicked me I tried to cuddle next to Lea and realized that she shared Bubba's flair for slumber karate.

So I minimized my sleeping space and dreamt of the warm sunshine. That morning I woke first and started kicking my camping companions to join me. Then the real fun started as we tried to steamroll each other. The slick bags caused us to plow into and slid back to start. Or so we thought until Russ came from the right and rolled over all three of us. But the slickness of Bubba's bag and a spatial miscalculation sent Russ off our sandbox bed and onto the surrounding rocky terrain. Lesson learned. Steamrolling for the 6 and under crowd only. Parental supervision required.

No comments: