Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hard Hat Angels

I traded up from the glitz and glamour of a national luxury magazine to the chaotic labor intensive world of drilling. Last Thursday my new company sent me out on the field to check out two construction sites in northern California. Three of us packed our overnight bags and prepared for a wild weekend with our one-way tickets. As we strolled out of the office our co-workers waved and labeled us Charlie’s Angels. Fitting and funny but not the first time I’ve been one in a trio of curvy blonde, tall red head and spunky brunette.

We wandered onto the first job site and graciously accepted our bright orange vests and hard hats. Then we drove down to the drill shaft where we received admiring looks and detailed lectures of the work scope. Just like digging holes in the sandbox, magnified and washed out with pumped water and a rather large vacuum. Unfortunately our devil may care stance did little to impress the safety warden. He noted and documented our disregard for steel-toed shoes. I felt like a tall weathered six-year-old when he asked me to spell my name. It was an agonizing five minutes waiting to see if my next move would warrant a check as well.

But the anticipation was for nothing and we didn’t learn our lesson. The following day we stumbled onto the second job site at 4:30 in the a.m. If you want to see cement being poured that is the appropriate time to watch. We were lucky enough to catch the repeat performances at 8, 10, noon and 3. Not only that but we had a few guys to keep us company, entertaining us with construction lingo. One of them even doubled as a drummer. I think there was more but it was hard to focus on him with all the other tools and equipment lying around.

Unfortunately we declined all invitations for the evening. A private jet picked us up as soon as the shaft was filled. Yeah, it’s the jet-set lifestyle but we have moments of living like regular people. Mine happened to be two days later when an officer of the law pulled me over for speeding. My weekend stories didn’t impress him but the winning smile of an angel got me off with a warning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A private jet!!! are you kidding me? You always land the coolest things...it's nice to get out of tickets isn't it??? See you later this week! SHAR

Anonymous said...

ha ha this is hilarious. I think I just might frame this picture my little miss Bre in a hardhat! Just picture perfect.... but hey money is money. Love ya! Hope to see you next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Umm-- do you know about the little gadget called a speedometer? According to Webster it does detect speed-your car has one, I'm sure. Check it out!! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Your hat makes you look just like Kirby from nintendo. I like that you're getting more into manual labor. Working with your hands is a little bit hot. Keep it up